31.3.08

Germs.

don't touch that.

You know, germs are a funny thing. We all have them, fear them, sanitize to prevent spreading them, yet we cannot see them or really know where they are coming from. Toys have them, I suppose. So do shoes, lollypops dropped on the floor, or anything that comes out of (or even near) the garbage can. If it falls out of or was ever inside one's nose, it has germs. If you cough on it, germs. But really, no matter how many times you wash your hands, they're everywhere, and you can never really be sure how your kids get them. 

Here are 3 occurrences this week in which Max has definitely, definitely, DEFINITELY been exposed to germs.

The first, and arguably worst offense:
On Monday while taking pictures of all our wild kids with Laci and Chelsea, I set max down in front of a cute brown door on an old brick building. there was grass dirt, little puddles and other miscellaneous clutter laying around. Which must explain why I didn't see it.

There I was, snapping away at my smiling round cheeked boy, watching as he leaned over and reached his little hand down so he could crawl away. My eyes followed his fingers, down past his new blue shirt, past his jeans, over some rocks and onto A DECOMPOSING BLACK BIRD. 

{cue gagging noises and dry heaves. in fact, feel free to throw up fully now.} 

How I didn't see it, I don't know, but I didn't.  None of us did. I guess it just blended in with the dark dirt. Anyhow. I saw it and gasped just as he set his chubby hand on that filthy germ infested piece of rot. Immediately I scooped him up and yelled to my friends 

"MAX JUST TOUCHED A DEAD BIRD!" 

I am sure this was followed by all other sorts of expletives and other such unrepeatables. I don't really remember, as I am still trying to blot the whole experience from my memory. Thankfully, my friends came to the rescue, offering a plethora of baby wipes and reassurance. I think the most comforting thing was Chelsea, who said, "Really Jessica, its okay if you want to cry right now. Because I probably would." The best part was that she was serious. I didn't cry (though I considered it), but after a few minutes, I did scream. I had to. 

Second offense. Of course, it happened at church, and of course it happened in the NURSERY. 

Danny and I BOTH work in the nursery at chuch. Why? I don't really know, but we do. We had it worked out so that during the winter flu, cough, cold, snot, GERM season, one of us would go to nursery and the other would watch Max. ELSEWHERE. But, spring is here, and we decided it was time for a fresh start. We both stayed in nursery with Max this week. Big mistake. He survived the madness, was tough when he got clobbered by a big kid (twice. on purpose) while he sat innocently catching the bubbles, he didn't cry when all the other kids did, he didn't even get upset when the other kids took his snacks. Success, we thought. Wrong. 
We were getting all of the toys put away, waiting for the last few stragglers to come pick up their kids. Max was holding a mini etch-a-sketch, the last toy to go into the basket. When I took it away, he freaked. Ooooooh he was mad at me. He wanted that etch-a-sketch. I bent over to pick him  up and noticed he was still clutching something tightly in his hand. I peeled open his clenched fist and saw a little brown clump of something. 

No. It can't be. 
I smelled. 
It is. 

He was holding a little piece of poo. I checked his diaper. Nothing. The poo did not belong to Max. Max's diaper was clean. I had just changed it myself. MY KID WAS CRUISING AROUND THE NURSERY WITH A HANDFUL OF SOME OTHER DISGUSTING GERM INFESTED NURSERY KID'S POO. 

Again, I announced it. Again, pandemonium. Check the other kids diapers. Nope. Dig through the toys? Desperately search for the hand sanitizer. 

The only thing I could think of was the smell. We had noticed it earlier in the day, but couldn't find our culprit. The smelly kid must have reached down for a scratch, then touched the etch-a-sketch. Can't think of any alternate scenarios. Don't really want to.

Last, but not least in terms of germ exposure.

Found Max splashing in the toilet bowl again this morning. 
Was planning on cleaning it later today. 
Awesome.

29 comments:

  1. and that is why I no longer have children. . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm speechless. I honestly cannot help but laugh....and think "what in the crap would I do".

    I have a few sick experiences from church as well. Like...(I'll try and make this quick)...he was teething which is precisly why I told that to this woman "who will remain unnamed" so she wouldn't try and take him from me. Immediately she got soooo close to his face I felt like slapping her..plunger he big fat dirly long nailed finger into his mouth and started to feel for teeth. ARE YOU SERIOUS? I felt weak. I wanted to vomit. Then..the time I was teaching sharing time...and this kind man (dentures, body odor that would make you drop dead, kind perverted...I don't live in Utah remember) walked up to me and grabbed him from me so that I could finish. HOW KIND OF HIM. All I could do was burst into tears. They thought I was touched by the lesson. I honestly couldn't even continue the sharing time.

    ha ha !

    moral of story: your not alone. You are hilarious...but not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh-another quick one. SORRY! at christmas....we were all snackin on choc. covered raisins...my favorite. Jarom changed jaxsons diaper...announced that his poop were little pebbles and we may need to give him juice. Hours later...while we are playing cards and my dad is laying on teh family room floor stretched out in front of the fire...her finds a "CHOC. covered raisin" and raises it to his lips...when he stops and realized this is in fact...a piece of jaxson's SHIT. can you believe it????

    see your not alone!

    hahahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  4. lots of spelling errors. Forgive me. It's 2:00 a.m. in omaha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hilarious Jessica! But I must say..the handful of poop is definitely the worst...by far! Yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ewwwwww!!!!!!! I'm not sure which one is worse! Probably the second one. Gross, but funny!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh my gosh jess! This totally kills me. It's hilarious! Glad it was you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jessica, the Young Chevrolet Wives Club comment is from me. I forgot to sign out of a different blog. Sorry. I'm a little nutty today. Good work out in Pilates eh?

    ReplyDelete
  9. seriously...you should probably leave him in the warm bath for a few days:) that is sick and hilarious:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh man, isnt it just disgusting the crap that happens?

    Cars had some experiences too so don't feel too bad!

    YUCk!! And WAY TO FUNNY to read about.

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh don't you worry. Asher picked up a bird last fall at a park, with his bare hands. i FREAKED.

    he's never touched poo though... that's just sick... i can't even imagine. i would have died!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jess, those stories are hilarious! They are also very true to life with kids. You can never imagine what is going to happen!

    ReplyDelete
  13. jess, just imagine annika and her cute thumb sucking habit, and all the disgusting stuff she sucks off. eewww.. but - when bj and becca were little, playing at the mcdonalds playland, I pulled becca out to see if she needed to go potty... noticed really squishy legs on her pants. (no diaper because she was trained, right?). Yep - that foamy kind of diahrea ALL over the inside of playland's slides. There was nothing I could do. She'd been in the ball pit, scooted down each and every knook and cranny of the play toy. And there were no paper towels in the bathroom!! (only airjet dryer for your convenience. hellooo!) There was no where I could hide. I rinsed her off in the sink in the bathroom, jet dryed her hiney and asked for the janitor to go check out the toy. We slinked off to our car and sped away. I feel so dirty just thinking about it. I vowed to never show our faces there as long as we lived. Oh yeah, and once our cat caught and rat, bit it's head off, drug it in to lay it at our feet just as I was laying the baby down on the floor next to it. The world couldn't have invented enough lysol that day to appease my dry heaves and contant shivers of revoltion. SICK!

    Aunt Laura's sage advice and wisdom - never visit McDonald's playland no matter how tempting the airconditioned toys beckon you. NEVER!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The life of a mother, isn't it horrible at times. I think dog poo is worse that kid poo. (Ashley, of course) Those stories made me laugh. Kids always find stuff to gross you out. Ashley came inside from playing outside chewing on something- a snail!! I was so grossed out.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this post. In the last few days you and I have really given our blog readers something to puke about :)

    PS-Love the Labels at the end of the post. Ebola, HA!

    Here is something you requested. Have fun!
    http://www.annsacks.com/home.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. i hate germs! at least max doesn't suck his thumb, daphne does!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just so you won't feel so bad about the bird:

    My friend Tami was with her son at the park when she noticed that he had "stringy-ish" hanging out of his mouth. Upon further inspection, it was . . .











    A DEAD MOUSE!

    Yep, you read that right. So the bird could have been worse! :o)

    And I can totally feel for you on the nursery and toilet stuff. YUCK!

    ReplyDelete
  19. OK, sorry, I meant to say 'something "stringy-ish"'. That was of course the mouse's tail, which means the entire rotting corpse was in the toddler's mouth. Gotta love the age of putting things in your mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow. I dont even know what to say. Rough week? Wow. How awful. I've caught Kasen in the toilet before, when he was little of course. But never poop. Never anything dead. You poor mom! POoor pooor mom!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am laughing so hard right now! That is all so gross! Oh, the things that we all have to look forward to I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Jessica! Where were you today at spin/run/yoga/HELL!!!!??? I'm seriously going to die.

    ReplyDelete
  23. i just vomitted in my mouth....

    ReplyDelete
  24. I came across your blog and have loved reading about your adorable little boy. I have 4 kids ages 5,3 and 1 yr. twins. I can totally agree with you on Germs. Totally funny now that it's over but at the time...hold on. Good luck with your photography business. I have also considered the trade but it takes up so much time and that is something I am short of right now. I am from Clearfield, UT. and have loved seeing my home state in your pictures. What kind of camera do you shoot with and what are your lenses if you don't mind me asking? I find your style very refreshing and love it. That is what I like also not the cheesey- cheesey. I just may be calling you for a photo shoot of my crazy family since it is so hard to do a timer and run. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Jessica! Your little boy is so cute. And can I say your photography is amazing! Whitney had a link to your other website on her blog...I had to click on it because I loved her pictures...and guess what,I love all your pictures. Whenever I have a baby, I should hire you! Perfect that your in laws live in Rexburg :) Cute blog. I am going to have to step mine up a notch...or maybe 50 notches.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi. You don't know me but I stumbled onto your blog and I about died! I am a GERM FREAK and all these things would have sent me over the edge! I have a little girl who just started crawling and will be entering that stage of getting into everything and putting everything in their mouth. Thanks for the laugh...but sorry it happened to you. By the way I LOVE your pictures.
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  27. Jessica,
    You have a great blog. Would you mind if I shared it with my friends? I know some moms who need to read the germ stories and see your pictures.

    ReplyDelete